Coyotes have been reported in downtown Chiciago. In fact, a cougar was captured on the outskirts of Chicago. Here's a map of coyotes in Los Angeles.
Advice for keeping coyotes away from your house:
- "Install motion detector lights aimed at the perimeter of your yard.
- Use air horns or a whistle to startle predators from the area. Do not, however, employ pellet guns, which could injure pets or neighbors.
- Remove pet food from patios and yards.
- Clear dead fruit from under trees and low-hanging branches. The fruit attracts prey animals such as raccoons and opossums.
- Keep trash inside the garage or keep the containers covered.
- The odor of sprayed cat urine can attract prey animals, so keep cats indoors.
- Trim excess vegetation where rats and small animals will burrow.
- Enclose crawl spaces under patios and raised foundations." Source
They do attack humans. See excellent article here.